Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Sign of Spring

Several signs of Spring appeared this weekend. Workouts are definitely getting longer as my base building for Ironman Lake Placid ramps up.

Saturday, McQueen went for its longest ride ever. 81 miles and just over 5 hours long. Deanna L and Scott thankfully joined me for the first 50. We took a busier than I would have liked route from West Creek to Ashland but otherwise, the ride seemed to be going smoothly. My legs felt pretty good and I was able to keep a descent pace. Back at West Creek, I said good-bye to DL and Scott, refueled with an almond butter and jelly sandwich and some juice and headed out for the last 31 solo. I decided to test my legs and add a few hills to the route (since we had only done a few) and tackle the Millers Lane loop. My goal was two fold. First, to make it up the hills and second, to descend the hill from Manakin down Millers without the use of my brakes. To me, descents are far more scary than the ascents. Since I have that 9 mile descent to Keene in my future, I figured I need to start somewhere. I accomplished both goals, but my pace slowed considerably on the last 30 miles and it was clear I was running out of gas. I could not longer get my HR in the right zone because I couldn't seem to get my legs to pedal any faster. They were spent. Once back to WC, I finished my ride with a loop to finish out my workout time. My other proud moment of the day - making it through both gates at Capital One without dismounting or unclipping. I need to work on getting some more fluids in me while riding and next long ride, I'm going to give CarboPro a try.

As I racked McQueen on the back of the car, I saw this:

. . . the first sign of Spring. Worms galore - on the bottom tube of my bike, in my brake calipers, all over. McQueen got a post ride bath and is now just waiting for her new crank and ceramic bearings.

Today's workouts were tough. I was not sore from yesterday but my legs were definitely sluggish. We also had our first really warm day. My run was lackluster and my body was definitely not acclimated to warmer temps. My easy 8 miles felt like a hard 15 and my legs might as well have been made of lead. Even Lulu felt the effects of the warmer weather. She jogged with me for the first mile and a half but contrary to our other runs, she was happy to be dropped off at home to left me finish the work.

Post lunch and a little R&R, I headed to the pool to finish my last workout of the weekend. A VO2 workout in the pool. My main set was 10 x 200 with each 200 aimed at 4 min or less. Although I tried to hold back on the first several 200s so I'd have enough the tank to finish the 10, they felt easy, and I was clocking off times right around 2:50. As the 200s continued, they definitely got harder. I tried to keep form and hang tough. I made all of the 200s under 4 minutes, but one. The last. I missed it by less than a second. Irritating, but it gives me something to aim for at the next swim.

And tonight, its feet up and time to rest. . . that is, until tomorrow. :)


Annn said...

Great post, but what did I take away from it???

Ew, bike worms.

TriGirl 40 (okay - 41) said...

Impressive workouts! Hope McQueen has recovered from the worms.

Michelle said...

You are kicking ass out there!! Thanks for the inspiration.